Thursday, September 9, 2010

Wing Tour Stop 3: Big Daddy's Wagon Wheel Tavern

Location:
Big Daddy's Wagon Wheel Tavern
Route 313 & Sternersmill Road, Quakertown PA

What I ordered: Cajun Hot Wings, Sweet N Spicey Wings, Cajun Suicide Wings (I also tried Dan's Original Hot and Honey BBQ)

This trip was long anticipated.  The Wagon Wheel was number 1 on the Best Wings in Bucks County list that originally inspired the wing tour.  The Wagon Wheel has a wing special every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, giving great odds of getting a lot of wings pretty cheap.  $8.25 gets you all you can eat wings, and you have 12 flavors to choose from, so go hungry.

The way the special works is that on your first plate, you can choose 2 flavors, and every subsequent plate you can only get one flavor (per plate).  Between Dan and I, we tried a total of 5 flavors, so I'm gonna give a run down of each:

Cajun Hot: These were the night's winners.  Rather than a sauce, it was more a dry, cajun spice.  They had just the right amount of flavor combined with enough spice to make it interesting, but not overbearing.  These really hit the spot. 
Taste: 10/10
Spice Level: 7/10

Sweet N' Spicey: According to a sign on the wall, this was one of the new flavors.  Lately, I've been trying to diversify my tastes and try some new things I might not normally, so I gave these a shot.  I'm glad I did.  If you are looking for something a little different on your wing night, these are a good pick.  They are very saucy, and are a little more on the sweeter side than the spicey side. 
Taste: 8/10
Spice Level: 3/10

Original Hot: With all the flavors to choose from, these kind of got overshadowed.  Pretty standard hot wing, the sauce wasn't as thick as the Sweet N Spicey or the Honey BBQ, so it wasn't super messy, more akin to the Gardenville Tavern's hot wings.
Taste: 7/10
Spice Level: 6/10

Honey BBQ: When I get wings, I don't usually go for the flavors of a BBQ persuasion, unless they have claim to have some sort of kick to them.  They were BBQ wings for sure, but nothing too terribly memorable for me.
Taste: 5/10
Spice Level: 1/10

Cajun Suicide: Like the Cajun hot, but with about 10x as much spice on them.  Good lord were these hot.  I could only get about 6 down, and my stomach hated me for it.
Taste: 8/10 (too much spice on them to get the same score as the Cajun Hot)
Spice Level: 11/10

Overall, they had a great variety of flavors, and I wouldn't hesitate in going back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment